Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Bead is a Bead

This was not intended as a lesson on diversity, but it worked out rather well.  I have also been thinking about how to teach my boys about Martin Luther King Jr., and Pierce set it up perfectly for me today.

I will admit.  While we were doing this project, I was only half way listening.  I was stuck in my own mind about how it really stunk that the boys woke me up at 4 am.  I know it was because Pierce had a belly ache, but man, all I wanted was sleep.  Then he said something that caught my ears.  "Hey Momma!  Did you know a bead is still a bead even if they are different colors?"  Then it was like fireworks in my head.

Yes!  A bead is a bead, no matter what color it is.  It is still the same thing.  And you know what?  A person is a person, no matter what color they are.  We are all skin and bones under our skin, with a few ligaments, tendons, organs, and connective tissues thrown in. Some of us may be short.  Some of us may be tall.  Some of us may be confined to wheel chairs, and some of us may run marathons.  But we are all the same.

As I went through this with him and Carter, I saw the sparks in their eyes.  I had also just borrowed a fantastic book called We March by Shane W Evans, that puts it in perspective for younger children.  When I was reading the book to them, they were amazed that there was a march that not only did not involve fife and drum, but that had so many people involved.

I'm not done with this topic yet, but at least it was a great start to why we have Martin Luther King Jr. day.  The next thing we are going to do is learn how he used words, not violence, to make the world a better place.

What are your ideas on how to teach such a huge topic to such a young audience?


No comments:

Post a Comment