Friday, January 3, 2014

A Living Room Market

With this being New Years week, I set up a week of easy lessons on choices.  We focused on everyday choices, helpful choices, and healthy choices.  I have to say, that the best lesson we had was healthy choices.  And the only reason I say this is because we had a blast transforming our living room into a market.

I had these great felt pieces of fruits and vegetables that we laid out on the couch.  Santa brought a shopping cart and some reusable bags to the boys, so they were able to fill their bags and cart with healthy foods.  We talked about what each of the foods were, how we would cook them, etc.  In addition to filling up bags and carts, we also had the cash register set up for them to take turns being cashier and buyer.

All of the shopping, the entire hour of it, inspired the boys to want to cook.  Thankfully I had some of the food in the house that they had just played with.  We made fresh blueberry muffins, had carrots for snack, and found a recipe to make broccoli patties.

We also set up their kitchen in the living room, and they have had a blast this morning making their healthy meals for us to enjoy on this freezing cold day.

The lesson I learned from this, is yet again, to never underestimate your children.  When we were discussing what was healthy, of course they listed off the typical water, fruits, vegetables, independent play, and being outside.  However, Pierce threw me for a loop with his answer of puzzles.  When I asked why, he replied, "Mama you have to use your brain.  It is healthy to relax too."  Well said Pierce, well said.  And with that, I am going to go relax with my boys before I shovel again.  Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment