Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Knowlton Express

The boys are obsessed with The Polar Express.  We have the book, have the movie bookmarked on Netflix, and they walk around singing songs from it.  I think we have watched it at least a dozen times, and the boys are starting to compare and contrast the book with the movie.  With that said, I came up with a genius idea to dedicate an entire week to using the polar express to learn.

The first project I set up for the boys was rather simple:  I traced out a train shape on black construction paper, cut out one side rail, and had them glue their train together.  After they glued their scene, they then used cotton balls and Q tips dipped in white paint to make snow on the paper.  Pierce went to town, and recognized exactly what it was supposed to be.  Carter only wanted to make a few snowflakes, and that is alright too.  Each of them has very distinct tastes in art styles.  :)



Then of course we could not have a polar express week without bells.  We did not replicate the one that is given by Santa; simply because that may be a gift from Santa this year.  ;)  But, we did make some hand bells so that we could dance around the house singing.  

To make them was rather easy.  I got the idea from my preschool, and I think my mom may have the bell in the ornament box still.  But, you take a Styrofoam cup and paint the outside with which ever colors you may like.  They sell the bells at pretty much all craft stores, and I used a pipe cleaner to attach the bell and then use as the handle.  Both boys had a blast making these, and they spent the entire rest of the day using them to sing and dance with.  The best part?  We have a few more ornaments for our tree next year.  



To top the week off, our elf brought all of the supplies to make the hot chocolate that is just like the hot chocolate in the Polar Express.  Nice, rich, steamy, super chocolaty hot chocolate.  With fresh whipped cream.  YUM.  Since we had no way to replicate the North Pole, our elf left directions to go on a Christmas light hunt.  To make the hot chocolate, I took one can of sweetened condense milk, 1/2 cup of baking cocoa, 6 cups of water, and a dash of vanilla.  It sits in the crock pot on low for about 3 hours, and it tastes amazing.  To make the whip cream, I just took whipping cream and coconut sugar and whipped it like crazy.  Then we all piled into my car, and drove around Thomaston looking at all the lights.  There were some houses that were AMAZING!  And the boys loved all of the colors and blow up characters.  

Of course we did our usual stuff; practicing letters, matching cards, doing puzzles, etc.  But it was so nice to have a theme that the boys were so excited about.  I guess that puts a bit of pressure on me for January, right?  :)  With Christmas being next week, I am taking it easy with the boys this weekend.  They both have this cough that will NOT go away, and they keep acting out (I believe due to being overtired).  I hope everyone has a great holiday, and I will attempt to update before 2014.  If I do not, have a great New Year as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment